From people perspective, everything, every action, every motion, every thought, every feeling, all of life is an attempt to experience love. And when I mention “love” it is not just about Eros (the romantic love) but also:
- Philia (deep friendship),
- Ludus (playful love, which involves playful activities),
- Agape (selfless love, including but not limited to love for humankind, for nature, for God),
- Pragma (longstanding love, which involves duty and long term interests),
- Philautia (self love, which can be healthy or unhealthy, we will discuss the healthy Philautia below), and
- Storge (familial love)
But how can we retain ourselves with love, incorporate this perspective into our daily lives and how do we therefore reduce our “negative” emotions such as hate, resentment, and anger? Is there an easy way of looking at ourselves and our emotions so that we can sustain the perspective that hate and love are just two sides of the same coin?